In the video, Bella and I were making cake pops. It is a very exciting and fun kitchen activity to do with kids. Cake pops are very expensive dessert. Starbucks sells cake pops for 1.29 each small lollipop size. My daughter loves this. Every time we go to starbucks she wants one. So do I! That adds up to 2 dollars and 29 cents times 2. It is very delicious anyway, so who does not want one? They are very adorable as well as every fun to eat.
One cake pop is not enough for me and for Bella. So if I want 2 cake pops, I’m sure she would too. So to save 2 bucks and more, I decided to make it at home. It is very easy and inexpensive. One cake box mix is less than a dollar at Walmart. Well, on their website it shoes more than a dollar. But at the store prices starts at 98 cents, sometimes 97 cents.
So to make cake pops you need to bake a cake first. The best cake for cake pops are left over cakes from birthday or any occasion because they are already frosted.
Cake (any flavor)
Candy Melts (any flavor)
Lollipop Sticks ( available at bed bath and beyond also at Walmart)
- Smash the cake ( crush, cramble, whatever term is appropriate) into small pieces. Really, really find as in no hard pieces from the crust or sides.
- Add frosting to the already smashed cake and mix together together very well until it is very sticky.
- Form into round cake balls and roll between your palm to make a perfect round ball that does not fall apart. Measure each cake ball using 2 tablespoon coffee scooper or anything that holds 2 tablespoon.
- Place cake balls in cake pan or glass pan. Make sure they are far apart and not touching. Cover with plastic.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- When cake balls are ready, and cold (after 4 hours) melt Candy Melts in a sauce pan, slow cooker set on low or little dipper. If you don’t have any of these, you can use glass bowl and place it on top of the boiling water.
- Using lollipop stick, dip about 1 inch of the stick to the melted candies.
- Insert the dipped part of the stick inside the cake ball. This is done to prevent the stick from slipping off.
- Roll the cake ball on the melted candy. After this step your cake pop is done.
- Let the cake pop stand upright in a cup. Do not let anything touches anything, even other cake pops.
So for each box of cake mix, you can make at least 20 cake pops.